Are you moving or downsizing your home and need to sell your home quickly? Are you wondering where to get started and really wish you had a plan? Then what you need is a comprehensive checklist! So step right up and learn these great tips and then get your 5 page “Free Printable Home Selling Checklist To Help Downsize Your Home” when you downsize or relocate to Beautiful Victoria, BC Canada. (Watch the Video for the music introduction)
Watch this on our YouTube Video: https://rosemaryandgaryvictoriahomesteam.video/youtube-home-selling-checklist
or read the following blog for the full details:
Rosemary and Gary
“We Love People and We Love Homes!”
Beginning of Blog Starts Here:
When you decide to downsize and sell your home you are very excited! But then you remember. Ah, years of collecting and now you have every room packed and don’t have any idea about how to get your home ready for the sale happening real soon. If that is you then you are in the right place. keep reading for all the details and how to get your free 5 page “Printable Home Selling Checklist”.
Hi, I am Gary and I live with my wife Rosemary in Beautiful Greater Victoria on southern Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada. We are Realtors with DFH Real Estate Ltd. here in Victoria BC, Canada.
We believe this is the best place in Canada to live and to retire to. Come and check it out!
If you want to know more about Victoria and would like to talk to us then you can find our online schedules below where you can book a Discovery phone or Zoom call with Rosemary or me.
Book a phone or Zoom call with Gary at this link: https://calendly.com/gary_sims
Book a phone or Zoom call with Rosemary at this link: https://calendly.com/rosemary_tulett
Please note that I have not included every tip in this blog but this will give you a good overview. Read this blog to the end to find out how to download our “Free Printable Home Selling Checklist” which has the full details.
The best place to start is at the beginning.
Number 1: Clean and Replace
You want your home to look amazing. Here are some general things to do first. The best way to start is to clean your home fully. Not just the floors but really everything. A lot of people do not realize that the small stuff really matters to potential buyers. Things to consider are:
- Light Switch Covers
- The fireplace
- Replace burned out light bulbs. I changed 18 bulbs in a recent sale while helping a seller. I am not sure how they were able to see anything.
- Carpets and blinds should be washed
- The front door could be washed or even painted to be freshened
- Look at both the interior and exterior paint. I believe paint gives the best bang for the buck versus most other home improvements. It is relatively inexpensive, quick to do, and makes your house look amazing. So, consider this!
- And more…
Number 2: Dust Everything
Everything must be dusted. Then a day or two before your house goes live for sale you should have a good dusting and go through again.
- and 2 more…
Number 3: Make It Inviting
When the prospective buyer comes to view your home, they want to feel like the home could be very comfortable and will try to imagine what it could be like. Therefore, you can do a lot of things to make your home inviting. Some things are:
- Rearrange furniture to maximize visual floor space
- Pack up all knick-knacks and figurines and put them away.
- Prune and nurture all house plants
- Remove any furniture that you can live without. Leave space for the buyers to imagine their own things in the home
- And 7 more…
Now let’s focus a bit more on specific rooms within your home.
Living Rooms and Family Rooms are often the first rooms viewed and set the tone for the viewing.
- Keep coffee tables clear
- Remove any ashtrays
If you smoke consider renting an Ozone Machine to remove smoke odor
- Keep furniture at a minimum
- And 2 more…
Dining Room when properly staged can give the home a touch of elegance.
- Bottom of Chandelier should be at a minimum of 60 inches (1.5m) from the floor
- Keep dining table clear except for one nice centrepiece
- Remove extra chairs from the table and dining room
- And 2 more…
Bedrooms should be tidy and inviting. Who does not love their bed?
- Make beds daily, invest in new bedspreads if necessary
- Clear off bedside tables, dressers, etc.
- Store daily necessities in drawers or closets
- Organize closets to be nice and keep closet doors closed
- And 3 more…
Kitchens are the centre of the home where we like to gather while food is being prepared.
- Clear all items from kitchen countertops
- Clean tile grout; bleach if needed
- Clean the stove, oven, and microwave
- Clear the refrigerator of magnets, pictures, and messages
- Repair broken or loose corners on Formica countertops
- Replace burner pans on the stove if worn
- And 6 more…
Let’s keep the Laundry spiffy clean.
- Put soap and supplies in cupboards
- Keep all surfaces and sink clean and empty
- Use high watt bulbs to make it look brighter
- And 3 more…
Bathrooms, Tubs, and Showers must be spotless.
- Clear and clean ALL surfaces
- Display a bottle of hand soap or a clean bar of soap
- Purchase new towels if necessary
- Coordinate all linens in one or two colours
- Fold towels in thirds on towel rack
- Remove all unnecessary items out of shower stalls and tubs
- And 6 more…
Garages should be organized and not a place to hide junk.
- Clean and sweep out the garage
- Keep storage nice and neat
- Repaint dirty areas
- And 2 more…
Exterior of Your Home is important as curb appeal will bring buyers into your property.
Look at your house objectively from your neighbour’s yard.
- Clean or repaint the front door if needed
- Repaint the exterior and trim if needed
- Replace any rotten wood on the exterior
- Sweep all walkways, patios, porches, and decks
- Pressure wash any dirty/stained concrete
- And 5 more…
The Yard and Garden are very important to families with kids.
- Prune bushes and plants to look healthy
- Do not allow shrubs or plants to block windows
- Weed all planting areas
- Put down fresh mulch to restore colour contrast
- And 3 more…
Preparation may seem daunting at first. However, with a proper plan and this handy checklist you will be able to rapidly get your home perfectly ready for that sale coming soon.
I have not included every tip here so grab the Free Printable Home Selling Checklist to get the full details.
Get Your Checklist Here: https://rosemaryandgaryvictoriahomesteam.video/get-home-seller-checklist
(Note you will need to put in your name, email, and phone#. The guide will come into your email mailbox in a minute or two for download. Also let us know if you are planning to sell or buy in the next 12 months).
If you would like to talk to Rosemary or me about downsizing, retirement, the Victoria market or anything else real estate related, then you can find our online booking schedule below for booking either a phone or Zoom call or send us an email with your phone number and we will call you. We would be glad to chat with you.
If you liked this blog then please come back soon for our next weekly blog. We would also love to hear your comments about this blog or any other real estate topic.
And checkout our YouTube weekly videos with lots of useful content on the current real estate market, new listings, things to see and do in Greater Victoria. Press the Subscribe Button and touch the Notification Bell to be notified of our new weekly video releases every Wednesday.
Our YouTube Video Site: https://rosemaryandgaryvictoriahomesteam.video/youtube
Thank you for reading this blog and I will see you next time!